My grandmother’s batzina pie, is the best pie in the world!
Batzina is a Greek (from Thessaly), easy and crustless pie with zucchini, feta and fresh herbs. Every June, we pick the first zucchini from our garden and we make this delicious pie! It’s a tradition in my family! Everyone wants our recipe! So, there’s no way but share this amazing recipe with you!
Zucchini (Cucurbita pepo) also known as courgette, is a summer squash in the Cucurbitaceae plant family, alongside melons, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers. While squashes originated in the Americas, this particular variety was first developed in the early 1800s in Italy!
There are many evidence-based benefits of zucchini. Let’s see some of them.
Zucchini contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds. Cooked zucchini is particularly high in vitamin A, though raw zucchini contains slightly less. Also, it’s rich in water and fiber, two compounds which can promote healthy digestion by reducing your risk of constipation and symptoms of various gut disorders. Zucchini’s fiber may increase insulin sensitivity and stabilize blood sugar levels, potentially reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes. The fiber, potassium, and carotenoids in zucchini may lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and other risk factors for heart disease. Zucchini is rich in water and fiber yet low in calories, all of which may help reduce hunger and help you feel full — potentially leading to weight loss over time.
- 1200 gr. zucchini
- 3 green onions
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- lemon zest
- 300 gr. feta cheese
- 300 gr. gouda
- 200 gr. all-purpose flour
- 200 ml olive oil
- a handful parmesan
- First of all, preheat the oven to 180 °C. Secondly, grate the zucchini, mix it with salt and let it dry over half hour and then we put it in a kitchen towel and squezze it well.
- In a big bowl, put in all the ingredients and then add the zucchini. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven pan, which you have prepared with olive oil, sprinkle some parmesan and bake to 180 °C for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
Don’t forget to tag us #foodenyo on instagram, if you remake this one! We’d love to see your creations!