I adore spinach pie! In Greece, we call it ”SPANAKOPITA” . Spinach is ”spanaki” and pie is ”pita”.I remember, when I was child, my grandmother teached me how to make this pie with ”phyllo krousta” or she made her own pie crust from scratch.
About the filling, Oh my God, i love this filling! You can choose whatever you want to make it. My grandmother used to filled the pie with fresh greens and spinach from our garden! I can still remember that amazing smell of fresh greens! You could add plenty of herbs, such as: dill, parsley, chives, mint and green onions. The local feta cheese and traditional greek yogurt, give a special flavor to filling. YUMMY!
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 500 gr. spinach (washed & dried)
- 500 gr. lettuce (washed & dried)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 2 white onions (chopped)
- 250 gr. feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 50 gr. herbs (dill, mint, chives, parsley)
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°. Lightly oil an oven pan.
- Heat a pan with olive oil over medium heat and saute scallions, white onions , spinach and lettuce, until soft and limp. Remove from heat and set aside to cool about 10 minutes.
- Then, in a medium bowl, mix together : feta, greek yogurt, eggs, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir in the spinach mixture: spinach, onions and lettuce.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough in prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo. Add the filling, and layer remaining four sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cut in pieces and serve with greek salad!
Don’t forget to tag us #foodenyo on instagram, if you remake this one! We’d love to see your creations!