Spring is upon us, which means berries season is here! I have two loves, spring & baking, so that means, Berries Galette is my favorite dessert!
I adore spring, actually being born in spring, so I love all things of this amazing season. Spring for me means love, flowers, fresh fruits, sunny days near to sea and warm afternoons in balcony, with a piece of berries galatte & ice-cream!
A galette is basically a pie, without the stress. This fast and delicious berries galette crust comes together in minutes.
Strawberries (Fragaria ananassa) originated in Europe in the 18th century. It is a hybrid of two wild strawberry species from North America and Chile. They’re an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese and also contain decent amounts of folate (vitamin B9) and potassium. So, eat as many strawberries as you can!
Blueberries are sweet, nutritious and wildly popular. Often labeled a superfood, they are incredibly good for you. They are also about 85% water, and an entire cup contains only 84 calories. They are very popular berries, cauce they are low in calories and rich in fiber, Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all the popular fruits and vegetables.
For the dough:
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 113 gr. unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 30 gr. white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar for garnish
- 2 tablespoons corn-starch
- 1 tablespoon rum
- First, place flour and salt in the bowl, add sugar and mix it well.
- Next, add in the cubed butter and pulse (with your hands or with a fork) until mixture resembles coarse sand. You want the butter pieces to look like small lentils. This process takes about 1 minute.
- Also, add the white vinegar and in the end, add in the water as you continue you to pulse one tablespoon at a time until the dough starts to collect on the sides and form into a ball.
- Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you should wash and dry your fruits, then cut the strawberries in slices and marinate all of them with sugar, starch, and rum.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out into a circle on a lightly floured surface and transfer into a large sheet of parchment paper. To finish it off, fill it with your filling, making sure to leave at least 3 cm border around the edge. Then fold the outer 3 cm dough over the filling.
- Finally, brush the dough with the beaten egg, garnish with brown sugar to get a good golden crust.
- Bake in 180 °C preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. To serve, slice the galette into wedges and top with vanilla ice-cream!
- Place the butter in the freezer for about 10 mins, before using it in the recipe!
- Make sure, the water is super cold too!
- When you fill the dough with fruits, make sure to leave 3cm border around the edge!
- Don’t forget to put corn-starch into the filling, because the use of starch helps bind the liquids of berries and reduce the chance of separating, or weeping, in the baked pie!
Don’t forget to tag us #foodenyo on instagram, if you remake this one. We’d love to see your recreations!