We live in Germany! It’s impossible for us not to love apples, which are the most important fruit in Germany! The German Bureau of Statistics appears that of all kinds of top fruit grown in Germany, apples remain the most popular.
Germans adore to eat apple pies, drink apple juice, wine of frozen apples, they produce apple mousse and combine potatoes with apple sauce! In Greece, we love desserts with pastry sheets, so, I was searching for an easy and delicious recipe like this: Apple Palm Pies, and I found it from a gifted female chef Nadiya Hussain!
- 3 pastry sheets (fillo)
- 300 gr. apple purée
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 20 gr. raisins
- 30 gr. ground nuts (walnuts, cassius, almonds, hazelnuts)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Put the nuts in a food processor and grind them.
- In a bowl, put the apple purée, cinnamon, raisins and ground nuts, mix them well and set aside.
- Cut the pastry sheets in equal 24 small squares (eight equal squares per sheet) by using a kitchen scissors.
- Use a 6 holes cupcake tray and spray the inside of each hole with oil. Then, place 3 squares inside the oiled cavity of the cupcake tray, press down, and repeat this process until you have filled all 6 holes in the cupcake tray.
- Fill all the holes of cupcake tray with 3 teaspoons of apple filling and then place 1 square of pastry sheet on top of the apple mixture and fold the pointy edges inwards.
- Spray with oil every apple palm pie and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and eat them warm with vanilla ice cream or sprinkle caster sugar and cinammon!
Tip: I bought apple purée from local producers, if you want to make your own purée: you should use 3 big red apples, peel them and boil them with juice of one lemon for about 20 minutes. Then, put the apples with lemon juice and a bit of water into a food processor and make them a smooth purée. Ready!
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Apples either whole or in the form of apple puree are a very good source fiber and vitamin C.
- They reduce the risk of chronic diseases, thanks to phytochemicals they contain and more specifically catechins and quercetin.
- Apple puree can also be used to treat diarrhea, since apples have an increased pectin content.
Maria Mentzelou is Dietitian / Nutritionist with M.Sc. Applied Nutrition and Dietetics with specialization in Clinical Nutrition (Harokopio University) and Specialization in Life Coaching and NLP (University Aegean). Find out more about her or contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. 6984515475 and in its pages on Facebook and Instagram.
Don’t forget to tag us #foodenyo on instagram, if you remake this one. We’d love to see your recreations!